Sunday, February 28, 2010

Getting Started

So I've decided to get the clutter in my life under control. Of course, some of it I just have to get rid of some of it will take more time and effort.
  • The physical clutter--piles of paper in the basement, the broken baby swing, and other items that are no longer used, needed or loved;
  • The financial clutter--the money I owe my parents, the student loans that are still hanging around, even though I graduated from college in 1996, and our mortgage;
  • The poor health clutter--fake foods made with chemicals, fake sugars, and preservatives;
  • And the emotional clutter--old resentments, past hurts, and self-imposed guilt.

I don't know where this journey will take me, or what I will discover along the way, but I'm actually looking forward to it. With the help of Flylady, I've already been working on the physical clutter. The small amount of peace I've uncovered through a shiny sink and bathrooms that are swished and swiped every day feels wonderful. I'm looking forward to spreading that peace throughout the rest of my house.

My husband and I have already been working on the financial clutter. Thanks to this year's tax return we eliminated some old debt that has been hanging around, and were able to purchase a few items for our home with cash, and without adding to our debt. We're digging out and dusting off our copies of Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover and Financial Peace and looking to "change our family tree."

I've been reading through copies of Clean Eating magazine and one grocery shopping trip at a time, processed foods are eliminated from our home. I'm also working on giving up soda completely once and for all. Although, I am not letting go of my coffee with cream and sugar, so I'll just be sure I use real cream and real sugar. No powdered creamer here.

And emotional clutter. Wow. This is going to be a big one. There are a lot of old resentments lingering around in my life. I'm working on letting them go. I fully believe that I am in control of my own emotions, so to a certain extent I know that I am choosing to hold on to this stuff. Other days, letting go of it seems to go against every self-preservation instinct I have.

Wonder how many self-help books I'll collect through this process?

No comments:

Post a Comment